Grace Episcopal Church is blessed to have one of four carillons in the state of New Jersey. The Grace Carillon was dedicated as a two octave carillon in March 1923. It was manufactured and installed by Gillett & Johnston. The carillon was later doubled in size by brothers Walter and Bertram Pittis. The new bells were manufactured by Paccard. The second dedication was in May 1976.
– Traditional carillon of 47 bells
– Pitch of heaviest bell is E in the middle octave
– Transposition is up 4 semitones
– Keyboard range: C C / C G
– There are two missing bass semitones
The keys are struck with the half-closed hand. In addition, the larger bells are connected to foot pedals.
The keyboard allows expression through variation of touch.
Factory picture of the original Gillett & Johnson configuration (1923).
Click here for a photo gallery tour of the bell tower.